Tuesday, August 12, 2008

August 12th, 2008

Ok, ok, ok..... I guess I better post :o).  I don't like disappointing people that visit our blog.

It's been a really busy couple of weeks.  I got my 15 year old enrolled in High School, my 11 year old enrolled in 5th Grade, and my 19 year old enrolled in college (and paid for).  

We've finalized most of the plans for our trip back to Detroit for more ROP surgery.  We are getting another medical flight and approval for an overnight stay the night before surgery.  I've also gotten my approval for lodging and food.  All of this helps a lot!  I'm taking Kinnick's "best friend" with us just in case we get sent to the hotel with the babies for a couple of days.

We were approved to keep our nursing and our medicaid card.  I'm pretty sure we'll continue to qualify at least until the babies are off G-tube feeds and/or oxygen.   

Kinnick and Carver are both doing fabulous on 1/8 lt of oxygen day and night.  They're ready to try 1/16 lt during the day.  We see our Pulmonologist on Thursday, so I'm going to wait and see what she says.  Cold season is just around the corner, so I'm not sure how aggressive she wants us to be.  In addition, both are getting ready for possible eye surgery and Carver is getting ready for his Cochlear implants.

Kinnick's feeds have been going really good.  I still need to find a way to get another 8-12 oz of fluids in her during the day.  Until then, we have to G-tube feed her at night.  Carver is eating really good for 1 of my nurses.  So, with her out the rest of the week, we're going to see if we can get him to do the same for me and the other nurses.  She was able to feed him all of his feeds today during the day.  So, 5 oz of food/drink for all 3 meals.  I still have to G-tube another 8-12 oz of fluid at night.  So, definitely making progress.

Kinnick is prop sitting really good.  Carver is doing pretty good, too.  He still likes to flop his head around.  Kinnick is playing a LOT in her exersaucer.  She stands really good and turns in circles.  She doesn't see well, but seems to find all of the toys and plays with them.  Carver struggles in the exersaucer due to the floppy head.  However, he seems to like the jumperoo.  He tries to stand in it.  

Kinnick still doesn't like laying on her stomach.  So, no crawling in site.  Carver loves being on his stomach.  He's starting to really hold the majority of his upper body weight with his left arm.  If it wasn't for his bum right arm, he would be crawling.  He doesn't have any problem getting on his knees.  He just struggles getting his upper body off the ground with 1 arm.  If we support his chest for him, he does pretty good - even rocks.

Oh... Carver got his first tooth today!  Finally!  I was starting to wonder if he would ever get any teeth.  He's 16 mth old.  Kinnick has 2 teeth on the bottom.  She's had them forever, but no signs of any new teeth.  Kinnick's teeth are yellow.  I talked to my pediatrician about the color and he says that it is just a sticky coating that will come off when she is able to have them cleaned at the Dentist office.  I'm not sure what color Carver's tooth is going to be.  

Sorry it has been so long since I posted.  It just seems like a lot has been going on - time gets away from me.   I've also discovered craigslist.org, so I've been selling stuff that the babies no longer need.  I made $675 last week just cleaning house.  I'm addicted now.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting. i miss hearing about you guys! conner is toothless...i wonder if he will be 5 and still have no teeth!
hope you are doing well. it sounds like you have been busy.
love, stacy

Anonymous said...

I was missing you too!! Glad to hear the update. We're always thinking about you guys! I'm sure you've been super busy getting ready for school and everything!
Love
Neva

Hilary said...

Wow that was alot of info...glad that everyone is registered for school and that's out of your way..the babies are doing awesome! I can only imagine how busy your days are :) Have a super week!!

elizabeth said...

Good luck as you begin your CI journey!

This is a great blog, and I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!