Sunday, August 31, 2008

August 31, 2008

Kinnick still has her cold.  It hasn't gotten any worse, but it's still hanging in there.  She finished the last of her antibiotic.  I'm hoping it doesn't get worse, now.  She's still getting breathing treatments every 4 hours plus her usual breathing treatments.  She doesn't seem to mind the breathing treatments - she even tries to help.

We are trying to teach Kinnick to take steps.  We put a short box (couple inches tall) in front of her and let her step up.  She's finally catching on.  She tries to climb up us, now.  You can tell that she doesn't have a lot of trunk strength, but she's trying hard.

Carver and Kinnick both have 3 teeth.  They both have 2 on bottom and 1 on top.  Carver is still pretty cranky.  I think he still trying to get his 4th tooth.  Kinnick's 4th tooth looks like it could come in any day, but it doesn't seem to bother her.  She has a high tolerance for pain.  I think it's because of all of the pain she has gone through.

Carver is still eating good for us - when he leaves his hands out of his mouth.  He is very self focussed.  His teeth are bothering him and that is all he can think about.  I think it's because he can't see or hear.  Anything that is going on with his body seems to really keep him preoccupied.   He even throws a fit when he poops.  It's crazy.

I got a denial from the insurance company for the cochlear implants.  So, this has slowed things down.  I guess this is pretty typical.  They want multiple pieces of support to show that he is deaf.  I thought the ENT sent the info, but apparently not enough info.  They're sending more next week.  What a frustrating process.  In the mean time, Carver falls further and further behind.  Since this has pushed us out at least another month, I went ahead and tried Carver on 1/16 lt of oxygen during the day.  He's doing great.  If he continues to do well, I'm going to change him to 1/16 lt at night.  I'll wait 2 weeks.  When we were in MI, the nurses took Carver completely off oxygen sometime in the early hours of the morning.  He was satting 100 when I got there.  I was a little surprised since there was not an order to reduce the O2.  The order showed that he was on home continuous O2.  However, it was nice to see him doing so well without his oxygen.  I still have problems at night where he quits breathing for a few seconds at a time.  Some nights are worse then others.  I know the oxygen won't make a difference, but it scares me to ever quit using the monitor.  Luckly, we now own the monitors.  After so many months of rental, the insurance company buys the monitors.

I think Carver has been attempting to see things the last few days.  If he's laying on his stomach and I pick him up, he turns his head and looks as if he's trying to see who picked him up.  I've even caught him peaking at the lights during his vision therapy.  He doesn't look long, but he does take a quick peak.

That's it for now.  Hope you all have a good holiday!


Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you're back and that Carver is starting to try to use his eyes!! Hope the insurance listens up soon so you can get started on his cochlear implants. Keep us posted! Did you ever get to talk with the lady who retired from Rainbows who worked with deaf/blind students? Just wondering?

PS- Thanks for all your help!!

Drew's Mom said...

For the cochlear implant approval, I would recommend having your surgeon contact the insurance provider directly. As for the medical review case manager and have the surgeon speak directly to that person. After a 15 minute conversations, Drew's surgery was approved. Who knows how long it would have taken without that phone call.

If you get into serious denials, contact the Let Them Hear Foundation.
They provide legal assistance for cochlear implant appeals.

Keep us posted - you are right, the sooner he gets the implants the sooner he will flourish - and you're going to just be amazed!

Drew's Mom said...

Our insurance provider is Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield of VA.

Most insurance companies are approving unilateral implants. It's when you're trying to get 2 done at one time that people may run into denials. You are going for just one, correct?

I would also recommend the Yahoo! Group CI Circle. It is a group of parents and professionals of kids with hearing loss. You could post your insurance carrier there and see if anyone has had approval with that paritcular carrier. In that case there would be a precedance and you wouldn't have a huge fight.

In my best guess, being involved with the CI world for just about 2 years, is that your surgeons office didn't provide adequate information and that you do have coverage, they just need to proper documentation.