Sunday, January 11, 2009

January 11th, 2009

We're back from our much needed time away.  We had a great time.  While we were away, Kinnick managed to break her BARD button.  I have no idea how she does it.  It's all solid plastic.  We were told it would easily last a year.  Well, it lasted about 4-5 months.  I guess this is better then the 4 days the Mic-Key buttons were lasting.   I swear she must have battery acid in her stomach in order to eat through these things.  She's using a back-up Mic-Key until the new BARD comes in.   My nurses put the first back-up Mic-Key in on Tuesday.  Well, by Friday she was on her second back-up Mic-Key.  I'm hoping the new BARD is here by Monday or Tuesday.  I don't have anymore back-ups other then Carver's back-up.  Crazy kid.  Other then that, everything went smooth.  Thank you Tonya (my sister), Nurse Marci, and Nurse Jane.  The were all quite the team while we were away.  With these 3 people, there is no worries while you're away.  All of them treat our kids like their own.

There really isn't anything new going on.  K&C are both still on their O2 continuously.  It's difficult to wean in the winter months.  Kinnick is on 3/4 lt while Carver is on 1/8 lt.  

I did find out that I am able to get my medical card for both kids based on disability.   They don't qualify for SSI, but they do qualify for the medical card.  I don't even have to pay a co-pay.  It's based on their income.  Since they have no income, I don't have to pay anything.  What a relief!

I head back to work tomorrow - part time.  Bob starts a new job tomorrow.  He was laid off in December.  He's still in the car business.  He's just not selling Hondas anymore.  He's the New Car Sales Manager for Brandon Steven Subaru.  So, if you're in the market for a new car, ask for Bob - he'll make sure you get a good deal.  

That's all for now.  I'll post pictures of the trip soon.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

hey shanon,
glad you made it home. we were wondering when we would hear an update! i can't believe that about kinnick's button. that is crazy. i hope it comes out easily! congrats to bob on the new job. david said if we get a subaru next, we'll have to call him (although it would be a long drive to kansas!). good luck starting back to work tomorrow. we'll be thinking about you.
stacy

Anonymous said...

Can you give a little more info on the medical card? I live in KS with special needs children. Can you get a card if you carry private insurance to pay for copays and out of pocket expenses? Do you have private insurance? If not, if you do get employee based insurance, do the children become disqualified from the tax payer based medical card?

In another post, you mentioned a "funding committee". What is that?? I would love to be able to have someone pay for new equipment for my kids. How do you do this?? PLease assist!