Friday, December 4, 2009

December 4th, 2009


We had our "Transition" meeting with Rainbows and the Public school system (USD266) yesterday. We will have to "Transition" from our current Early Intervention group (Rainbows) to the Public school system when Kinnick and Carver turn 3. This was our first meeting and was set up to familiarize the Public school system with K&C needs. It was also an opportunity for us to ask questions about the services that the Public school system has to offer. It has been really nice having Rainbows' therapists come to our home for services. Once we transition into the Public school system, all of our therapy will take place in the classroom. They have class 3hr/day 4 days a week. This doesn't mean that we have to go 4 days a week or even for the full 3hr/day. All of this can be discussed and scheduled based on what's best for K&C. It is possible that the therapists could come to our home if necessary. When I say necessary, I mean medically necessary. Right now, I'm not sure if it is medically necessary. I'm a little concerned about all of the lung issues that Kinnick continues to have and how being in a Public school with many, many children is going to impact her. I understand the need for early intervention, but I can't risk health for the extras that would be offered in the classroom setting. We still have some time to think about things. I really liked several of the teachers and their enthusiasm. I also liked how willing they were to accommodate any and all of K&C's needs. It pretty much sounded like they would make sure they got anything and everything they needed. They also seemed very open to trying the school setting first and if we found that K&C's health begins deteriorating, then we could go to homebound therapy. I was excited to meet the TOD (Teacher of the Deaf). She was very willing to meet with Kat to go over our plan of action for Carver and was willing to share in the opportunities that the Grant has to offer. A couple of the teachers even asked to come to our home to do their evaluation on K&C. Each of the Public school system therapists will have to evaluate K&C to determine frequency of therapy. This is always a fun one for me, because I never feel like we get enough therapy ;O). Overall, I would say that I was pleasantly surprised with the staff and am looking forward to seeing how things go with the first IEP draft.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Hi! I have been following your blog for some time now but never commented before. I am so happy to hear that you were able to get all the things needed for the kiddos.

My son is in the ECD at Maize. He does go 4days a week 3 hrs each day. We started as soon s he turned 3 as well. My son only has a dx of Autism, but is non verbal. They have not had a nonverbal with just 1 dx. My son is def the most "delayed" in his class this year. I have nothing but good things to say about his teachers/paras/therapist. When we started my son had zero self help skills, coudln't drink from a cup or straw....I mean he just turned 5 but my 2 yr old is more advanced then he is. Anyway, I am very interested in the MRDD waiver info...I will have to check into that. We are on the states autism waiver and get SSI help, but that comes no where near to what else we need. THanks for the good advse! Hope your entire family has a wonderful Christmas!