Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 6th, 2010


Carver spends a lot of time rolling around on the floor. He got a really cool Puzzle mat for his birthday. All of the squares are textured and the inside pieces all come apart. It even has a big green button you can push that plays music.



We continue to have problems with Carver's right CI. The CI works great. It's the skin covering the implant. He has had this darn seroma covering the implant since day 1. It's crazy. The seroma was draining good and the skin was starting to heal - until last night. Last night a big piece of skin came off (like a scab). Yellow junk was coming directly from the seroma - Yuk! This is the same junk that has been draining from his ear tube. Today, the color turned to a weird gooey red color. I called the doctor and he changed the antibiotic to something stronger. He said that he expected this to happen. Great. He also scheduled Carver for surgery this Thursday. He's going to have to re-open the site, clean it, and sew it up. I'm so tired of this darn ear. It's been a problem since day 1. I can't believe it's been 5 months and it's still a mess. The other ear is perfect. We've never had a single problem with it. I'm stressed over the surgery on Thursday. I just want this ear to heal so Carver can get the full benefit of his implants. I have no idea what to expect this Thursday. My fear is that he is going to find something more serious wrong. Something is just not right. Even with a puncture to the seroma, the fluid continues to build. This seems really wrong to me.


2 comments:

Kristina said...

I will say some prayers that all goes well on Thursday and you don't get any more bad news.

I had heard about skin flap degradation before and, interestingly enough, when I was doing research on HBOT before we tried it with Emma I did a search to see if CIs are counter-indicated at all. There was at least one (I think very small!) study that actually was for CIs with skin flap degradation and the HBOT helped heal it. So, you might want to look that up and if you were ever considering HBOT at all this info. might give you more than one reason to give it a try.

I hope Carver has a speedy recovery!

Tiffany said...

You always have the coolest toys and they seem fun but very "therapy like". Do they have a playroom or something because I feel like our house is being taken over by toys and equipment and we do not have even half of what you have?