Monday, October 19, 2009

October 19th, 2009

Today, Kinnick and Carver had swallow tests done. Neither appeared to be aspirating while eating/drinking. Of course, the test is a moment in time. Kinnick never gagged at all while eating today. A lot of days, she'll gag and vomit. Carver fell asleep while waiting on Kinnick's test to complete and then he didn't want to eat - he just cried. He ate some and it was obvious that he was delaying swallowing - leaving some food at the back of his throat. This will put him at risk of aspirating.

Tomorrow, Kinnick goes in for the 24 hr PH probe study, the lung swab, and the Fundo check. I'm not looking forward to this at all. She will be on the Ped's floor with all of the sick kids. I don't know why they would put healthy people on a floor with a bunch of sick kids - it's crazy. Speaking of sick kids, Carver was running a fever tonight. Always something...

Ok, some good news...

Today, I received another notice from Cobra. They have changed their minds and are giving me the 11 month insurance extension that I requested - based on Disability!! I didn't expect this at all. I had to call to confirm since I received a denial just last week. I was thrilled to say the least.

More good news...

We received approval for all of the equipment money that we requested for Kinnick and Carver through the MR/DD waiver. Carver is getting the full $2,500 for a Pony Gait Trainer and Kinnick is getting over $2,300 for all of the equipment that we requested for her. Hopefully everything will be ordered over the next couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That's so exciting that you got to get the extension! And congrats on getting the equipment!! What a relief those things have to be. Has Kinnick ever had a ph probe study done before? How come she needed it? I'm sorry it's at the hospital and they can't let her go home for the night with the tube in. That stinks. I'll be praying she stays healthy!