Wednesday, October 21, 2009

October 21st, 2009


We're home. It was a Looong night. We got home around 11:30 today. Kinnick made it through the night without pulling out the PH probe. The cable and box attached to the PH probe was only about 2 1/2 feet long. They want you to do everything that you do in a "normal" day. HA! First of all, you can't even get food by 2pm. Luckly, I brought my own and was able to feed her shortly after 2pm. So, she had already missed one meal. They druged her for the scope, so she didn't feel well. Therefore, she wasn't interested in eating or drinking. She just wanted to cry and sleep. She couldn't get up and move around because she had a box attached that gave her 2 1/2 feet of room to move around - oh, the 2 1/2 feet starts at her nose, so really, by the time it hits the ground, you have even less room. She couldn't get down to play because I wasn't about to let her scoot across a hospital room floor with her hands. So, I wouldn't say that the test represented a "normal" day. I was able to see the PH levels at all times. It was very clear that she was refluxing bad when eating. Her levels dropped in the 3's. I was told that any level under 4 was bad. I'm not sure what this will mean. I asked her doctor what we would do if the levels came back bad (before the test started) and she said that we would have to re-do the Fundo. I'm not ready to re-do the Fundo. The surgery is horrible and she didn't handle it well the last time. Not to mention, she had to stay in the hospital for a week. We should have the results within a few days. They also took some mucus swabs from her lungs and washed the lungs with saline. The saline was suctioned back out and sent to the lab with the mucus swabs for testing. This should tell us if she is aspirating - which is highly likely based on what the doctor seen. While this will give us the answer to why Kinnick keeps getting lung infections, I'm not excited to hear what the treatment plan will be.

More later. I'm exhausted.

No comments: